Simple, yet flavorful Spanish Rice goes well with every Mexican dish.The end of school year is approaching rapidly and there are many things happening between now and then. Like an open house at the school. And Science Fair Project. My soon to be 3rd grader has been playing Minecraft for almost 2 years now and he chose to do a science project about it. He called it “Minecraft Circuits vs. Real Life Circuits” and it turned out pretty cool. Not to mention the pink board he picked for his presentation. Apparently, it is “sick”. He also loves his BMX scooter, parkour classes and doing back flips on a school yard. Pretty cool kid. Not an angel, though :). During the open house tonight we met with all of the 3 grade teachers as well as the kindergarten ones since our little guy will be joining the school in the fall. I wish I could say we liked all of the them and would be happy with any one. You know, it takes about 30 seconds to make that first impression and whatever you think of someone new then is usually true. At least it works for me. So we’re really hoping to get one of the teachers we connected with. However, we won’t know until mid August. Anyway, that’s the news from home front.
Today’s recipe is just a simple Spanish Rice. One that my kids like. Not one with salsa or bell pepper but one with onion, garlic, tomato paste and oregano. It goes great with veggie quessadillas, enchiladas or some meat and beans. It has enough flavor but it’s not overpowering. I like to use brown rice but obviously medium or long grain white rice works great, too.
Start by sauteing the rice with some olive oil in a pot until golden, about 5 minutes. Then add some chopped onion and 3 minutes later minced garlic and cook it for another 30 seconds. Pour in some vegetable or chicken stock, add the tomato paste, oregano and pinch of salt. Stir, bring to boil then cover and reduce the heat to simmer. Cook about 30 minutes, depending on the kind of rice you are using.
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup brown rice or white rice
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups vegetable/chicken broth
- 1.5 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- pinch of salt
- Heat up the olive oil in a pot. Add rice and cook it until it turns golden, about 5 minutes. Add diced onion and cook for about 3 minutes, then add minced garlic. Cook for 30 seconds and pour in 2 cups of broth. Add the tomato paste, oregano and salt. Stir, bring to boil, cover and lower the heat to simmer.
- Cook about 25-30 minutes, until the rice is soft and all of the broth is gone. Stir and serve.