Quick and hearty recipe, perfect for a weekday dinner or weekend lunch. Mushrooms, greens and eggs served with crunchy bread. Sounds good to me!This is a super quick dish that is perfect for a weekday dinner. Especially when the week seems to go very slowly. Especially, when you didn’t prepare anything in advance. Hopefully, you picked up some mushrooms and healthy greens last time you bought your groceries. I tend to have some mushrooms in my fridge so I can easily have a dinner ready, whether I’m making pasta ( see my Lemon Pasta with Mushrooms and Asparagus) or Mushroom Burgers.
This recipe combines full bodied shiitake mushrooms, healthy greens like baby kale, spinach and chard that are sauteed with onion and eggs. Sprinkle everything with grated cheese and serve, straight from the skillet, with a crunchy bread, perfect for sauce dipping. Best part, it’s ready in 15 minutes!
Shiitake mushrooms originate from East Asia and are cultivated in many countries. They are known for their rich and earthy flavor and an excellent source of umami (see my post Pasta with Mushrooms and Asparagus). Shiitake mushrooms are a great source of plant based iron, vitamins B, minerals and fiber. They boost our immune system, help lower the total level of cholesterol and have anti-cancer properties.
In this recipe, the mushrooms are simply sauteed with chopped onion for 5-7 minutes until soft. Then I added a few handfuls of mixed baby greens: kale, spinach and chard. Feel free to use any kind you have or like. If using mature kale make sure to cook it a bit longer so the kale softens. At the end I added 4 slightly beaten eggs and cooked them 2-3 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste, sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and serve with a crunchy bread straight from the skillet.
Serves: 2 Prep time: 5 minutes Ready in: 15 minutes
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion (about 1/3 cup) finely chopped
- 1 lbs shiitake mushrooms, cleaned, tough stems removed, caps halved
- 3-4 handfuls of mixed baby greens
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- pinch of salt
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- Parmesan cheese for serving
- crunchy bread for serving
- In a hot skillet add olive oil and saute the chopped onion. Add mushrooms and cook 5-7 minutes until soft. Add the mixed baby greens and stir until the greens wilt, about 1 minute. Add salt and red pepper flakes.
- Add beaten eggs into the skillet and cook 2-3 minutes until eggs are done. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve with bread.
Looks delicious 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks! And so easy to make.