Cherry Pistachio Cookies, what a treat! They are crunchy on the outside but chewy inside. The tartness of cherries is balanced by brown sugar. And then there are pistachios, slightly toasted to enhance their aroma and so nutty! Delicious! The addition of rolled oats and flaxseed makes them a perfect breakfast on the go or afternoon snack. These cookies were approved by my husband and various kids that happened to be in our house when I was making them. If our house wasn’t popular before, now, with the new puppy I feel like I’m running a preschool sometimes.
These cookies are really easy to make. Toast the pistachios, mix dry ingredients in one bowl, cream the butter and sugar in another bowl, then combine everything. The trick to achieving the right texture/softness of most cookies comes from taking them out of the oven when they seem slightly undone. Cookies continue to cook while out of the oven so you need to take them out while they are still rather soft. Then cool them off for a minute or two and place on a cooling rack. It takes a bit of practice and a reliable oven but it is always better to take the cookies out too soon (you can always put them back for another minute or two) than to over-bake. Unless, of course, you like the crunchy texture!
- 1/2 cup pistachios, toasted
- 1/2 cup unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup flaxseed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 stick butter, unsalted, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried sour cherries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place pistachios on unlined baking sheet and toast them for 6-7 minutes. Remove from the oven, cool, and chop. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, flaxseed, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and rolled oats.
- In bowl of a stand mixer cream the butter until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add both sugars and continue to beat for another 3 minutes until no longer gritty. Stop the mixer and scrape the sides. Add egg and vanilla extract and slowly beat until it’s all incorporated.
- Add the flour mixture, chopped cherries and pistachios. Stir well.
- Line two baking sheets with silicone liners. Using small ice cream scoop place balls of dough (12 per sheet) on each sheet.
- Bake 14-17 minutes until edges are golden brown and the centers are still soft. For crunchier cookies bake another minute or so.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Adapted from a Washington Post recipe.